Tuesday, October 23, 2007

In Monday's yoga class, we were in the choir room because of a theater rehearsal in the gym. We didn't use mats again, which lead to children losing their sense of space and making it unruly. After snacks, talking about dreams and what kinds of yoga kids did at home (sun salutations are tops) we started with relaxation. if there were any prop that I could get en mass it would be eyebags. I don't need straps or blocks, just EYEBAGS. I'll ask kids to bring in a washcloth or something, just because they are always so distracted. But Lalita came out and we first had to review the rules (one child's parents I had to call that afternoon, and another kid who is difficult has really made good improvement) I used the nonsense poem "the animal fair" which is like a song and many kids knew it. Mr. Bones talked about healthy eating and drinking water, as usual, and Jean-Jaques told people that last week we had a Jewish story, and the week before that a Buddhist, and now we would have a Christian story. I started with relaxation, having the kids relax to the glockenspiel sounds and then also visualizing the sun's rays on their body. I counted backwards with them, and then had a bit of silence, before I told the story of Jesus and the storm. I emphasized the symbols of the story, rather than any religious idea. Water, a boat, the waves getting bigger and bigger, and 12 men getting very afrai while Jesus, calmly slept. The peace inside Jesus was reflected on the outside. We practiced the sun salutation, we talked about how our lives can be rocky with waves, but we can be calm. We focused on the breath, that is like a wave, and finding the calm within. We moved through the boat pose, with many variations to strengthen our core, our sense of self. We did bow pose, pigeon pose. And in the end we did partner poses for the fun of it. As well as the balance game, running around wild, then stopping to be in the tree pose. Games are important. Break up any seriousness. I firmly believe that at this age, until they are in middle school, yoga is fun. No worry about big alignment, who is doing it wrong or right. Have fun, believe in yourself, be in the body, begin to get a glimpse of awareness to who you are, and that we always do yoga, we always breathe, we always mediate, relax and we always tell stories and love our neighbors.

For the Spanish-language storytelling last wednesday, I started with relaxation. I've noticed with these kids they are higher energy, more get into your stuff and take it out without permission, etc. I find it harder to hold them in. Perhaps because I'm not 100% fluent, and although I can understand Jorge Ramos on Univision every night clear as a bell, I have trouble understanding these kids. But this was powerful for them to just lie down and listen. I told the story of the Three Colored Horse, a magical story. They held their attention. Fewer drew pictures of the story; many wanted to draw what they wanted to draw, but that's ok. I still wrote down the words in Spanish and English for them to take home and tell parents about their pictures. As always we sing Cucu Cantaba La Rana, and they now know it by heart and love it.

In English storytelling today, we celebated Colorado's first snow, and that we can tell coyote stories, as we are respectful of the Native American storytelling tradition. I told the Zuni story of how Coyote stole the sun and moon, and how it brought cold into the world. Then I had them choose if they wanted a story about cold again in the world, or how fire came to the world. FIRE! was the answer I told the Brazilian story of Botoque, the Jaguar and the Fire, and they were all mesmerized, even the wiggly kids. Then we did the drawing and writing. Early on, one girl brought in an object, a small alien, and told a story from it. Kids are encouraged for next time to bring an object to tell a story about, as well as bring in the story of their name. What does it mean? Who are they named for? Any other family stories? I told them my own story, and that Sydney is my middle name, and if anybody can guess my first name, a la Rumplestilskin, they will get a prize!

On the home front, we had finished the Halloween costumes. I made the Pippi Longstocking wig with my mother-in-law with a coathanger and a red wig from the thrift store, and glued patches on her dress. My son's Pokemon card salesman now has my hat i got in Paris 11 years ago decorated with Pokemon cards, and the overcoat from the thrift store has plastic sleeves for the cards glued on to it. My step-daughter took her corpse bride outfit to her mothers, so hopefully they finished that there, for her sake. I love October, the dying time, as things pass away and we get ready for the solstice, that rememberance that there is ever lasting life within us, no matter how the outer form changes shape, and that we are reborn in the spring.

The online groups have amazed me. Such talented people committed to children and yoga, and their own self improvement. The online course has proven beyond my expectations in closeness, intimacy and intuitiveness. Being in touch with people over the internet I thought would be difficult. But with story, yoga and children in common, we are all the more close.

Love and Peace,
Sydney Solis

1 Comments:

At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Life coaching for women said...

If you have good relationship to yourself then it will be beneficial for your health. The most important benefit of yoga is physical and mental therapy. Yoga is a way of life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home