Tuesday, October 09, 2007

In Mondays' after school yoga class at Creekside Elementary, I used the Zen story of The Cherry Blossoms. We used a map to find Japan and China and other Zen-practicing countries, I explained to the kids that sometimes we will use stories from the Zen tradition, and sometimes we will hear stories from the Jewish tradition, or the Christian, or Native America or Africa, or Sufi of Muslim or maybe we will hear stories from nature.
The Cherry blossoms story is about being positive and grateful for what you have no matter what. The Nun Rengetsu is in search of lodging on her pilgrimage, only to be refused. She sleeps in a cherry orchard, and is awakened in the middle of the night by the scent and beauty of the trees in bloom under a full moon. She bows in thanks to the villagers for refusing her lodging, so that she was able to witness this beautiful sight in nature.
I realized that I had to practice this story myself, as class was a bit unruly today. We went to the courtyard again and to be near the garden like last week, however, things were different. The leaves on the ground were a distraction, and even though I had a new assistant, several kids weren't either participting or wandering around. Mats are useful for this reason, to keep them in their space. Some kids definitely have attention issues, and they are a challenge, but others start to follow. I separated some kids and in a firm but calm tone and with the help of my puppet, asked those kids who did not listen to sit out. Some I told that this was the last warning and they would not be invited back to class and I would need to talk to their parents. This seemed to help.
So! The difficulty I told the kids I was grateful for! It taught me how to deal with things and also learned what works and what doesn't work. We went through the story and used warrior one and two poses, triangle and side angle pose for traveling, the tree pose for the cherry trees, but also went through a range of hip openers and chest openers to feel the courage and opening to trust that all is well. We did twists and forward bends, always brining up the theme of the story. During snack time before class, I had asked kids what they could be grateful for right now. Some said the trees, life, food. The focus was on gratitude and that whatever life gives you, you make lemonade with. And that to have radical appreciation for everything, regardless of what it is.
It was tiring with all the dicipline issues, but next week we are back in the gym with mats. I'm glad we could be outside in the beauty of fall for the time being.

I volunteered to be the school liason for Boulder Valley School District Family Resource Schools, which assist in creating quality after school programs for disadvantaged families. I'm looking forward to it, and to doing more translating for Spanish-speaking families at our School Improvement Team meetings. I'm hoping to soon put on monthly, bilingual family yoga programs at the school with Our Love of Children Foundation, and provide info on healthy eating, and perhaps a guest lecture.

At home, we have created our Dia De Los Muertos alter with all who have passed. We have my husband's pictures, and the kids and I will celebrate his birthday Oct. 13 to remember him. My step kids have also started putting obejcts on the alter in memory of their deceased grandfather. As the leaves fall and coolness fills the air, we can help children connect to the life/death/life cycle of the earth - and ourselves - as we march toward the winter solstice. More on that to come!
Love,
Sydney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home