Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Tuesdays' afterschool storytelling class went well. A second-grader brought in a story she wrote about lions. It was a book of pages with illustrations about lions she did, stapled together. She read and showed it to the class. I was delighted that she was so inspire to write her own story!
We started off with telling jokes, riddles and knock knock jokes. Especially with a Halloween theme. Whey didn't the skeleton go to the party? Because he had no body to go with!
For starters I told the Aesop's fable of the Sun and the Wind, in which the sun challenges the wind that he is stronger and can make the man take off his coat. I also told the Tailor, of how a tailor reuses his clothing from a coat to a vest, to a tie, to a hat, to a button, to nothing. A great engaging one, as we make scissors with our fingers, and act out stitching, and have repetative chants such as "All worn out" and "throw it out."
Then I tol the Grimms Fairy tale of the Lady and the Lion. It's about 12 minutes, and the kids sat rather still and listened to the whole thing. And these are second and first graders! Afterwards they drew pictures of the images they saw during their listening, and then talked about that part of the story. Then I wrote down words for them on their pages. And said, see! You are a writer!
Afterward there was the book fair in the library and I had fun checking out the books with the kids. My son is really into reading his Diary of a Wimp, and he said he's really into reading now because of the book fair. What a good thing!
Today I take my daughter's second grade class on a field trip hiking at Chautauqua. Again, such a beautiful time in Colorado to be outside hiking!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home