Wednesday, September 27, 2006

On Monday I taught my first after school class at Creekside Elementary where my children attend. I have spent many years teaching children's yoga classes, but it was that day that I had an ephiphany of why I teach.
Teaching through the Wellness Initiative, a non-profit organization devoted to providing nutrition and yoga education to children, I passed out a sheet with questions pertaining to the children's lives. One question was what were some of the challenges in these 3-5th graders lives. Many said stress, homework, etc. And when I asked about how the home life was, one young man said, "rough."
I continued to tell the class a story about my childhood. How "rough" it was with an abusive mother and sick father. That our family was poor and that there wasn't a lot of hope. However, it was yoga that got me through. As a young girl, my father gave me books on yoga that always gave me hope that within me, I had the power to change my circumstances. I taught them that this whole universe is our creation, and it's our choice to make it better and into anything we want. I explained that yoga is a discipline, and that if followed, we can achieve our hearts desire.
That afternoon, my whole heart poured out to these children, who many are Hispanic or from low-income households. My worries about myself were shelved, as my greatest concern was to bring the tools of yoga and story to these children. For I realized that I am those children, and there was no greater satisfaction than to see these children performing yoga poses, feeling the strength, hope and power inside of them. Walking home from the school that afternoon after class, I felt that my life was full and satisfied, just in reaching and being with those children.
For that first class, I made up a story about the Hero's Journey, such as Mythologist Joseph Campbell teaches (www.jcf.org). That it was their journey into themeselves, to find that union, or yoga, within themeslves. There may be difficulties on the path, but there are always helpers along the way. And that doors will open to them that were never open before, just because they were following their hearts with courage. We did warrior poses and the triangle to mimic traveling. They came to a tree, did tree pose, and animals came and brought them a gift. Children made up what gift they received, and we added a yoga pose to it. It was a beautiful day of being with children. They are the future.
Namaste,
Sydney Solis
www.StorytimeYoga.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home